Kegon-ji Temple was built in 798 and was given its official name, Tanigumi-san Kegon-ji, by Emperor Daigo after its construction. The name was created by combining the names of Mt. Tanigumi and Kegon-ji Temple.
The temple is known for being a destination along the Saigoku Kannon Pilgrimage route, which holds around 1,300 years of history. In May of 2019, the 33 stops of the pilgrimage (including Kegon-ji) were officially designated as a Japanese Heritage.
With beautiful cherry blossoms in the spring and colorful autumn leaves in the fall, Kegon-ji is part of the “Top 33 Spots of Hida and Mino” list for both cherry-blossom and autumn-leaf viewing.
- Nature & Activities
- Tradition & History
23 Tanigumi Tokuzumi, Ibigawa-cho, Ibi-gun, Gifu 501-1311
From Ogaki Station of the JR Tokaido Line transfer to the Tarumi Railway located on JR Ogaki Station Track 6 >>> Take a train and get off at Tanigumiguchi Station (around 40 min) >>> Take a Meihan Kintetsu or Ibigawa-cho Community bus (towards Tanigumi-san) for about 10 min and get off at “Tanigumi-san” bus stop